19 December 2011

My Favourite Christmas... by Lindsey Kelk

Welcome back to my Christmas 2011 feature! As you know, I've asked lots of authors to write something about their favourite Christmas, and I've been lucky to have a great response. Today, I have the pleasure of welcoming one of my fave authors, Lindsey Kelk!!

Hi.

My name is Lindsey and I’m a Christmas-a-holic.

I suppose I first realised I had a problem with the season of goodwill when I took custody of my nana’s two foot silver glitter Christmas tree to go in my bedroom when I was nine. Then, when I was twelve, I  had to buy three Sweet Valley High books to read overnight since I knew I wouldn’t be able to sleep. At nineteen, I risked the wrath of my make uni roommates by waiting up until midnight on November 30th to put up the decorations. After that, it only got worse. Now, at the age of thirty-one, things are more dangerous than they’ve ever been because I’ve found the most terrifying enabler on the planet – New York City.

I mean, let’s face it, Christmas is pretty brilliant anywhere but for me, New York just takes it up to the next level. I want to see the Rockettes Christmas Spectacular at Radio City Musical Hall, I want to skate in Central Park, see the tree at the Rockefeller Centre and generally walk around listening to Christmas Wrapping on my iPod and gurning like a mental at everyone who walks by. Something wonderful happens in NYC as soon as Thanksgiving hits. I do my bit by wearing nothing but sequins and glitter from Thanksgiving to New Years Eve and my friends do their bit by not drawing attention to it. I occasionally burst out into ‘All I Want for Christmas’ at happy hour and my apartment looks like Santa got wasted, had a house party and then threw up tinsel everywhere. But it isn’t just me, it’s everyone. From Central Park to Coney Island, people have a hint of a smile, you can feel spirits lifting and chestnuts really are roasting on an open fire, on every street corner. It’s a miracle not just on 34th Street but all over the city.

Of course, there are some home comforts that are sadly missing. Cadbury advent calendars, After Eights and Terry’s Chocolate Oranges (we’re a classy bunch, my family) amongst other things. Last year, I hosted a Boxing Day get together at my apartment and had to pay through the nose for a tin of Quality Street and a pork pie. It was painful. But when it skies opened at five pm and New York gave me the Christmas gift of a foot of snow, I knew it was worth it. It’s been said before but I really do heart New York and never more than at Christmas time.


You can read my review of Lindsey's fab new book I Heart Vegas here. You can buy the book in paperback or as an eBook now!

No comments:

Post a Comment