2 July 2016

Book Review: Fix You by Carrie Elks

"You've found the one, but what if life has other plans?

London, 31st December 1999
At a party to toast the new millennium, Hanna meets Richard. He is a gorgeous, wealthy New Yorker. She is a self-assured, beautiful Londoner with no interest in clean-cut American men. They are from different worlds and have nothing in common... except for their instant - and mutual - attraction to one another.

As the clocks chime midnight it is a new year and the beginning of a wonderful romance.

New York, 12th May 2012
Hanna, the girl who broke Richard's heart, walks into his Wall Street office - and back into his life - to reveal an explosive secret.

He was sure they were meant to be together forever, but she broke his heart so completely the last time, can he find a way to let her mend the pieces?"

Rating: 5/5

You can buy the book now!

I am a sucker for a good old romance story, so when I read a few reviews of Carrie Elks' latest book Fix You, it grabbed my attention and sounded exactly like the sort of thing I would enjoy! I've actually had the book on my shelf for a while now, but just hadn't got around to reading it yet. Thank goodness, however, I was persuaded into reading it, because I really feel I would have been missing out if I hadn't read this one, what a wonderful story that made me smile and truly made my heart feel happy by the end!

This is the story of a long lost love story, between two people - Hanna and Richard. They met years ago at a New Years Eve party,  The pair strike up a firm friendship which eventually turns to love, and they try to make it work, despite the fact Richard has to work across the other side of the world. But Hanna is hiding a secret, one that she knows she could wreck everything. Years later, she storms into Richard's office ready to blow his present apart with her secret, but knowing she can't hide it anymore, for both of their sakes. Richard still loves her, but can he forgive what she did all those years ago, and allow himself to look to a future?

I loved this book from the beginning, and couldn't put it down once I started reading it. I loved Hanna and Richard's story right from the very beginnings of their friendship through to their romantic relationship and what then happens later on. I loved Richard, he was a brilliant character and wasn't afraid to admit he was totally in love with Hanna, and was willing to move heaven and earth to be with her. He is written to be the real male hero of the story, handsome, successful, hard-working, he's pretty much everything you could want, and it's easy to see why Hanna allowed herself to fall in love with him. She, too, was a good character but I just found it hard to reconcile what she did with my own beliefs, I think she was wrong to take the decision she did but that's just me!

I don't want to spoil the story by revealing the secret, because it was a surprise to me as I read along, and thought Carrie Elks writing was beautiful, and really kept the pace of the story up. I liked reading about the various stages of Hanna and Richard's relationship, and the family and friends around them too. The whole group of characters in this book were brilliantly written, they felt like real people, and I felt like I was part of their family as I felt completely invested in the story. I loved that the book travelled around the world with these characters too - Elks does a great job of describing these places and letting them come to life in your mind as you're reading about Hanna and Richard.

This was a wonderful story, a proper love story actually, and I loved that about it. As I said, I really didn't want to stop reading it, because I was desperate to get to the end and find out whether Hanna and Richard made it through the tougher times and could find the happy ending that they both deserved. Carrie Elks' writing was a joy to read, her character descriptions, pace, and story-telling was just wonderful and I very much look forward to reading what she has to offer next. In my eyes, this book was near-perfect and I loved it! Cannot recommend it enough!

No comments:

Post a Comment