28 March 2013

Book Review: Losing It by Cora Carmack

"Love.Romance. Sex. There's a first time for everything...

As far as Bliss Edwards can tell, she's the last virgin standing, certainly amongst her friends. And she's determined to deal with the 'problem' as quickly and simply as possible.

But her plan for a no-strings one night stand turns out to be anything but simple. Especially when she arrives for her first class and recognises her hot new British professor.

She'd left him naked in her bed just 8 hours earlier..."

Rating: 4/5

You can buy Losing It as a paperback or an eBook now.

I'll admit I was a bit skeptical about the whole 'New Adult' genre before I read this book. I thought it was aimed at teenagers who perhaps wanted something a bit, well, ruder than what would normally be aimed at them, but I think I got it wrong. It seems to be aimed at those people just venturing into adulthood, wanting something a bit more mature from their writing, and my first venture into this was Cora Carmack's debut novel Losing It. I have to admit I wasn't sold on the cover but decided that the story sounded too good to pass up, and so I got eagerly stuck in hoping for the best!

Bliss Edwards is a virgin, and it's a fact she's quite keen to hide. Her best friend is determined to find her man to do the deed with, but Bliss is sure she doesn't want to do it with just anyone. When she's out clubbing one night and meets a handsome young English guy, Bliss thinks she might have found the one. However, when it gets to the moment, Bliss isn't sure she can go through with it. Fast forward just a few hours later, Bliss arrives for her latest acting class and is shocked when her new professor walks onto the stage... it's the man she took home to her bed just last night...

I was a bit concerned about how a storyline about a girl proactively trying to lose her virginity would sit with me, as usually that isn't something that I would want to read about, and I think it's a bit of a dicey topic as well, especially if younger teenagers were to read this book. However, it's actually covered in quite a good way, and the leading lady Bliss isn't a woman who just wants to sleep with any man, she clearly wants it to be right and special which I think is a good message to promote. After the first bit of the novel is over and it moves on, it actually progresses into more of a slow burning love story rather than predominantly being about Bliss trying to lose her virginity.

Being set at a University/college, the characters in it are probably the same age as most of the readers this book is aimed at, and they're well written. It's mainly a group of Bliss' friends, including best friend Cade who was another of my favourite characters. I felt quite sorry for Cade actually, and hope he pops up more in Carmack's further books. Garrick, the British professor Bliss rather likes, is a perfect man in almost too many ways, a bit too 'dream come true' but it works for the purpose of the story! Bliss is very likeable too, and I liked that she wouldn't be pressured into anything she didn't want to do, even if she did get herself into some awkward and amusing situations! Bliss is the first person narrator for the duration of the book so we can really get into her head, and it allows for some really amusing anecdotes to pop up!

The main story is interesting to read but the book also focuses on Bliss' dreams of becoming an actress. Being only 21, she's still 100% unsure that's what she wants to do which I think a lot of readers will be able to resonate with, and I liked her indecisiveness - she was flawed and not afraid to show it, wanting to work out the best path for her first. Carmack's writing is enjoyable to read, flowing well and she isn't afraid to shy away from the naughtier scenes, writing these incredibly well and certainly getting steamy with her characters! However, it isn't crudely done and they fitted the theme of the book well and created the required sexual tension! The ending was almost a little too neat and tidy for my liking, but it couldn't have ended any other way, and I enjoyed the addition of an epilogue with a new narrator, that was a good final part to the book.

I enjoyed reading this book much more than I had expected to, and think that the New Adult genre is one that I will be able to enjoy. Carmack's book is a very enjoyable love story, and although it wasn't a long read, I was able to get fully into the story and couldn't help but warm to Garrick more than just a little bit lol! Carmack has written another book entitled Faking It which follows Cade from this book and it's due out in June, so I know I'll be seeking that one out too to find out more about these characters. If you haven't read any of the New Adult genre before, you can't go far wrong from starting with this book, I thoroughly enjoyed it!

2 comments:

  1. Gave this a read, and I'm so glad I did. I loved it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great review, I have this one to read!

    ReplyDelete