26 May 2014

eBook Review: Escape for the Summer by Ruth Saberton

"Can Andi Evans find the strength to start again? 

Betrayed and broken-hearted, Andi's redundancy is one shock too many. Suddenly single and in debt, a summer working in the pretty Cornish town of Rock seems the perfect solution.Determined never to trust again, will a chance meeting with a stranger change her mind? 

Andi's sister, Angel, is determined to find a man who can keep her in style. Heading to Rock, summer playground of the rich and famous, seems an inspired idea until a misunderstanding threatens to end a romance that has started to mean more to her than she ever expected... 

Actress Gemma is no stranger to diets and disappointments. As the future of her career hangs in the balance, Gemma hopes a summer in Cornwall solves her problems. With a reality TV show being filmed in the seaside town surely she can avoid the pasty shops and win herself a role. 

Arriving in idyllic Cornwall, all three girls are hoping for a holiday to remember. But will this be for the right reasons? Or, as emotions run higher than the tide, will the summer escape turn their lives upside down? "

Rating: 5/5

You can buy Escape for the Summer as an eBook now.

I've read a few of Ruth Saberton's short eBook novels, as well as a few of her book under different pen-names and enjoyed them all. When Ruth asked me to review her new book Escape for the Summer, I have to say I was really keen because it sounded just the sort of book that I would really enjoy! I think the cover is gorgeous too, very summery and although it was black and white on my Kindle (which is such a shame!), I loved it. I have to confess the book was longer than I anticipated, it would definitely make a big, chunky book if it were made into one but I thoroughly enjoyed the whole thing!

When Andi's relationship suddenly ends, she's shocked and a bit heartbroken too. But when she also gets made redundant and has her bank account emptied within the space of a few hours, she doesn't know where to turn. Her sister, Angel, is a beautician but can't help from opening her mouth to the wrong clients. She too finds herself without a job, and the sisters, together with their actress friend Gemma decide to move to the seaside town of Rock in Cornwall for the summer to get away for a while. Angel is determined to bag herself a rich man, but already seems to act like she has an unlimited bank account. Andi wants to work her way out of debt as quickly as possible, so is thrilled when the perfect job opportunity comes her way. Gemma wants nothing more than to meet ex-footballer Cal and star in his reality show, but is the reality going to be harsher than what she has read about him in the papers? Rock certainly has a charm for the three women, but are they going to find that their escape for the summer has led to a lot more...?

What I really enjoyed about this book was how it focussed around 3 women throughout the whole book. They're friends, but this didn't mean they were always together, they were often off doing their own things and it allowed the reader to get to know each of the women as individuals and see how different they actually are. I have to say I liked all of them, it took me a while to warm to Angel and Gemma but as the story got going, and we got to know more about the women's stories I started to like them more. Andi was certainly my favourite, although I did hope for her to grow a backbone regarding her horrendous boyfriend far more quickly than she did! She's the more sensible of the two sisters, seeing herself as the mother figure for Angel, and is certainly a lot more responsible than her sister. Her relationship with Jonty, a man she meets by chance in the local shop was delightful to read

Angel was a lot more flighty, determined to bag a rich man so she could live a life of luxury even though she's got a good set of brains on her! Angel likes the finer things in life and this is explored more in the book too. However, my favourite scene with Angel was towards the end of the book, very emotional and shows a totally fresh side to this character. Finally, there's Gemma, a wannabe actress with a weight problem. She's sure she won't get any roles until she loses weight, but Gemma loves cake too much for that. I really enjoyed Gemma getting to know ex-footballer and reality show star Cal as the book went on, and it was clear the pair certainly have a love of food in common! I was hoping Gemma would have her happy ending, but also get more confident about herself, I hated how she put herself down and thought she couldn't be anything until she lost weight.

The setting of Rock was wonderful. I haven't visited Cornwall although after reading this book, I certainly want to go! Everything from the beach to the sea to the shops are so well written, you can clearly picture it in your mind and I loved exploring the place with Angel, Andi and Gemma. What made the book so enjoyable for me was Saberton's writing - her dialogue with the characters was fantastic to read, witty and sharp and often funny, really making the women individuals but holding the story together too. There's a lot of humour in the book, I was often laughing along as I read, but it is full of warmth too, with the relationships each of the women have and with each other also. There are some more serious things woven in with the story of the book, and I enjoyed the way these were handled. It's definitely a book that deserves wide recognition, and is perfect for taking on holiday this summer for a fun and thoroughly enjoyable read. It had everything I wanted in a great summer read - a beautiful setting, fun characters, and a story that will keep you hooked to the very last page. I loved it!

2 comments:

  1. I liked this book so much, it's a fantastic summer read! Great review!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks, going on my list. Cheers from Carole's Chatter

    ReplyDelete